[Bf-funboard] general comments and funcionality improvement additions

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:23:22 CET 2012

Hello

I wanted to add a few clarifications and maybe some new stuff I noticed when working in blender, to my previous mail.

I talked about the Editor windows that needed some sort of "follow context mode" to always remain on a certain  selection,regardless of new selections. This would ofcourse also be needed for the SHAPEKEY editor,I forgot about that one. Don't know about grease pencil mode,though. Haven't figured out yet what this acyually does (haven't bothered)

So Follow context  for all editors,but mainly fcurve,dopesheet,shapekey and drivers editor.

now for some new findings:

11. I was going down the hierarchy of my bones with the designated shortcut,and it stops everytime it reaches a fork of 2 or more bones.
Now I know Blender can't read my mind, and choose one over the other,but why can't the behaviour be just selecting both forks and move along with even further selections and possibly more forks?

if i want to select hierarchy ,then I want to select ALL hierarchy. Now this is not possible (i think)

12. New filter mode buttons: (f-curve editor,driver editor,nla,editor..)
-Custom Properties /Drivers (can be seperate or together,I don't know what is best)
-Modifiers
-Physics
-Constraints/Bone constraints

I know these are considered object level most of the times,and it makes sense they are considered as such in the object filter,but the object filter is HUGELY cluttered because of this. It would be nice to be able to single out any of these when needed. In a vastly populated scene this could be a major help.

Also,when looking at the populated list in F-curve (and other),why is it that physics,modifiers,drivers don't get their own icon next to the entry? This would even further expand readability. Especiially in cases where said drivers,modifiers are custom named,but even for physics it's handy.

It is good though,that these entries are placed below the ojects they are assigned to,but I still feel a filter,and icons might be a step up in managing your scene

13. Modifiers have their own Icons. Couldn't this also be done for Constraints? Right now it's difficult to quickly scan for the constraint you need becasue you need to read it all. I do think,some sort of ideas for icons,can help make a contraint more discriptive at what it does visually.
Maybe not much but at least it would help in quickly chosing the ones you use a lot if they stand out more.

Could even be a user- design icons for constraints-contest,I don't know...

I just feel with all the same icons has almost as much effect as no icons.

Do note that these are my findings,and that there might already be solutions to these. I am not aware of those,but if you steer me right,I'd be much obliged.

any questions,please just ask.

thank you for reading

Kind regards

Steven