[Bf-funboard] Empties in the bone hierarchy

bassam bkurdali at freefactory.org
Tue Mar 31 16:41:13 CEST 2009

Hehe, incidentally , I sent a while ago an idea how to achieve
auto-rigging (well actually, some kind of system for rig retargeting) in
Blender, using edit-mode 'constraints' (which I have since renamed
'rules' to distinguish from real constraints).

I have made a while ago a prototype one-shot (hardcoded) system that
worked for a basic production task very well in conjunction with
etch-a-ton.

My idea is that this could be used with etch-a-ton using templates for
parts of rigs (arms, spines, whatever you want) or could be used for an
entire armature. The basic idea is simple:

in pose mode, 'geometry' bones depend on on controls via the rig, but in
edit mode, all the controls and helper bones have 'rules' similar to
constraints that define where they are relative to the geo bones (the
system could be extended to external objects such as lattices or curves
or empties) when rigging, you just position the geo bones (ore use
etchaton to sketch them and retarget from a template), then you press an
'apply rules' button that automatically positions every other aspect of
the rig correctly via the rules.

To make this work really nice, would be nice to have a few more features
such as:

attaching ID props to individual bones in an armature
python hooks in etch-a-ton to run the rules directly after retarget
?
profit

PS I actually like some of the selection UIs I've seen: downside is they
'take you away' from the character, upside is that in a complex rig they
can really help. It's something that I think could be added scriptable
in blender in the future (possibly after 2.5 is released)