[Bf-funboard] Debugging bug #18968

Early Ehlinger earlye at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 21:14:13 CEST 2009

This is in reference to
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=18968&group_id=9&atid=125

So in debugging this, I'm learning a lot about blender internals, which is
fun.

We have a script that uses python to load a .blend file, e.g., by calling
Blender.Load(...)

The error "only .blend files can be loaded from the command line..." is
issued in:

/source/blender/python/api2_2x/blender.c (686): Blender_Load( ).

Apparently, Blender_Load opens the file and checks to see that the first 4
bytes are "BLEN," and if not, assumes that the file is not a .blend file,
resulting in this error message.

I have a customer who swears that the .blend files he is sending me were
created in Blender 2.49, straight from the web site, and yet they fail the
"BLEN" test above.  In fact, they start with 0x1f,0x0x8b,0x08,0x00 - I have
no idea what that indicates - anybody have any tips?

These files can be opened in interactive mode, but of course, I tend to run
in background mode since I'm doing batch renders.

--
Early Ehlinger, President, ResPower, Inc.