[Bf-funboard] Rigging system

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Tue Jan 20 13:57:54 CET 2009

I looked at CAT and a couple of other animation systems a while ago (ie
pre-Elephants Dream) for research for my animation proposal, many of
which items are now happily a part of Blender. I'll take a new look at
those sorts of things as we move forward. While I'm personally happy
animating with the current tool set, rigging could certainly use a
boost. There are some cool things coming down the pipeline in the new
animation system.

If someone wanted to, say, go watch demos and read docs of these "higher
level" animation tool sets and compile it into some kind of report, it
would be really helpful to developers such as myself and Joshua
(Aligorith) for future directions.

While, as you say, this sort of thing isn't necessarily in line with the
main 2.5 goals, I wouldn't say it's out of line with the overall focus
of Blender, which is to provide a superior animation tool for artists.

Roland
harkyman