[Bf-funboard] Mouse versus hot keys

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 04:26:08 CET 2009

Hi,

>Suggestions relate to speeding up and making the work flow more linear, so I
>would greatly appreciate some detail, in how these are seen as slowing.

In principle, a linear approach is slower than a nonlinear approach
that enables the user to do more than one thing at a time. Tablets
make use of only one hand and leave the other hand free. Hotkeys make
use of this free hand to speed up the work flow.

The tablet replaces the mouse, but I have no idea where you get the
idea that keyboards are things of the past. I am not aware of any
predicted interface technology that might replace keyboards. Tablets
certainly don't.

When multi-touch arrives as the norm for 3D application interfaces,
hotkeys will be made obsolete. But with currently available hardware,
hotkeys are really necessary to maximize the efficiency of an
interface for 3D work.