[Bf-funboard] Mouse versus hot keys

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Wed Feb 18 00:38:30 CET 2009

<snip>
> This sounds like the age-old argument.
>
> Basically, blender's UI is designed to be fast to use, at the expense
> of easy to learn.
</snip>

Blender is very fast, efficient and clean. That we all agree on.
However nothing in previous arguments for or against precludes making the access
to some functions cleaner while retaining the current hot keys.
Then eventually those hot keys can fall into disuse as the new user base grows.

If indeed there is an "age old argument" then perhaps there is merit in the
argument, it may just need fleshing out, a new understanding thereof.
This forum is the tool for fleshing out, discussing new concepts, looking for
ways to make the 3D modeling, animation and production experience more dynamic
and that in it'self will encompass new hitherto unthought of ideas for improvement.

I see no merit in relating new concepts for improvement to existing ways because
if the existing ways were the best then there would be no requests for improvement.

I have previously discussed that universities use and  teach on graphics
tablets, the mouse and keyboard are things of the past.
How do new students grow into Blender if it has only hot keys. The way we work
nowadays is only a growth into the future.
When, and it will come soon, the mouse is replaced by graphics tablet then point
  and tap or point and and press will be required not just a mouse replacement.

If I could easily set up Fedora to use a graphics tablet, I like my daughter and
her friends would have little or no need for the mouse or keyboard.
Roger