[Bf-funboard] Edit mode to Object mode switching

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:06:15 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Roger <hovergo at net-tech.com.au> wrote:
> [...]
>> returns to object mode"
>> unless Roger means you could be editing 1 objects, and go directly
>> into editing another object.
>>
>> Ignore that for now
>> So in object mode, double click would be like RMB then Tab.
>>
>> A slight disadvantage with this is you wont know what object you
>> selected before going into editmode, no big deal but Im also surprised
>> this is seen as such a time saver. Another issue is that this could
>> conflict with the manipulator. when it happened to be around the
>> object you want to click on.
>>
>> - Editmode isnt something you use ALL the time, like view orbit or grab.
>> - If you want to use blender efficiently you need to have one hand on
>> the keyboard, and I dont find RMB+Tab that slow.
>>
>> Though this is fairly easy to add if someone wants to make a patch and test it.
>>
> -----------==========----------
>  > A slight disadvantage with this is you won't know what object you
>  > selected before going into editmode,
>
> Yes you would, in object mode you select the object, double click on the object
> puts the object in edit mode
> ----------==========--------
>
>  > Editmode isnt something you use ALL the time,
>
> On the contrary, we use it almost all the time only swapping to object mode to
> select another object, another bugbear that I won't go  into here.
> We often switch off the orbit and manipulators because they get in the way, only
> using them occasionally for x,y,z direction movement. They are nice but not
> necessary.
> -------------===========--------
>
>  > returns to object mode"
>  > unless Roger means you could be editing 1 objects, and go directly
>  > into editing another object.
>
> You can't select more than one in edit  or object mode unless they are joined
> meshes so it's quite safe.
>
> Say you're in object mode and need to edit the selection
> - double click the object  presents edit mode
> - edit as necessary
> - double click anywhere off the object and it returns to object mode so another
> object can be selected
> - click to select next object.
> - double click that next selected object and edit away
> - double click anywhere off the edit object and it goes to object mode.
>
> So far all work is achieved with the mouse.
>
> Or if using a tablet which is my aim, not having to put the stylus down and pick
> it up again or move from tablet to keyboard.
>
> Eventually Blender work will be mostly graphics tablet and stylus which will
> make it either way ahead of proprietary applications or way behind if they do it
> first.
> Then it will have to be point and tap, no more moving to the edge to select
> menus. dialogs, etc or hot keys.
> I've seen the speed with which my daughter achieves results using her tablet,
> (not in Blender)
> Neither her nor I come close with a mouse and keyboard and she is dynamite with

should have corrected myself,  I meant "SWITCHING  editmode isnt
something you do ALL the time", as you'd usually spend some time
editing while your in editmode, its not as common an operation as pan
or orbit view.

>From the original mail "Double click on an object puts the object in edit mode"
Sounded like double clicking picks the object.

If you have to right click to select then double click to go into
editmode, its kinda nice that it can be all done with the mouse, but
It doesn't seem as big an advantage.

> Eventually Blender work will be mostly graphics tablet and stylus which will
> make it either way ahead of proprietary applications or way behind if they do it
> first.

eh? - first I have heard of this. And wouldn't agree its THE way
forward, blender is a general purpose 3d app, not sketchup.

>From reading your last mail it seems you could have the stylus and
editmode issues improved by...
- Better gestures (so toggle editmode can be a gesture)
- Enter editmode for multiple objects at once (has been discussed for a while)

Improved gestures would be really nice, with 2.5 we could hookup user
defined gestures with any operator too for enhanced workflow with a
stylus.

--
- Campbell