[Bf-funboard] Edit mode to Object mode switching

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Sun Feb 1 17:59:02 CET 2009

Hi,
jean at jm-smith.com (2009-02-01 at 1116.41 +0000):
> 2009/2/1 Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>:
> > Don't think this would get past the UI mafia, A few times double
> > clicking has been suggested in blender but you might notice blender
> > doesn't use this anywhere at the moment.
> > IIRC this is intentional.
> >
> > Double clicking to toggle editmode looks convenient, but might also
> > backfire and be annoying?
> > Say you apply this to mesh edit, ipo's, sequencer metastrips... When
> > placing the 3d cursor or playhead its possible your clicks could be
> > interpreted as changing editmode... practically not sure how much this
> > would happen though.
>
> If that's a problem, the instead of double click make it
> CTRL-double-click (or some other meta-key combination).  That should
> eliminated any accidental double clicking, without having to give up
> what sounds like a fantastic usability improvement.

Then you have to press Control key... so press Tab alone and save
yourself some work in the hand that controls the mouse. "One key
press" vs "one key press and two clicks that must be done fast and
with zero/low pointer movement". Slower and requiring higher effort.

Some history: Blender original concepts (back to the pre public
release, not the open sourcing) included lots of alternating hands and
fingers, reducing tiresome tasks (no double clicks falls in that) or
plain muscle memory. Now that have diluted in the interface, and sadly
sometimes also in the minds of developers. I could write a detailed
doc about all that (core ideas, current issues, etc) if requested.

Luckly this time it seems they are remembering things, at least the
conclusion.

GSR