[Bf-funboard] Bf-funboard Digest, Vol 43, Issue 11 [bone "normals"]

Ian Calvert ianjcalvert at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 21 15:15:24 CET 2008

Hi Jin,

> i have no idea if this is the proper way to continue on this thread
> but here it goes....
Me neither :) my plan was to continue like this until someone complains.

> ok, so does LOCAL not apply to bones because bones themselves are not
> proper "objects" but are "sub-objects" of the "armature"?
That's my opinion on it. Similarly, local acts on the object orientation in
editmode on meshes, rather than on the orientation of the faces.

> if so, that's cool... but i guess then, in what sense does "normal"
> make sense to a bone.
I suppose it is perpendicular to the direction that the bone can move. Each
bone can rotate left-right and forwards-backwards (and twist, but that ruins
my explanation :p ).

> in any case, i'm fine with that convention.  just wondering.  but it
> could stand to be better documented.
True. Perhaps when in pose mode, "normal" should become "bone"? Or something
else that makes more sense.