[Bf-funboard] Blender Gui for 2.5

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Mon Mar 3 18:30:42 CET 2008

as others have said, an explanation would be nice of what each element
is. Some comments from me (not necessarily criticism, just thoughts):

1- content library on the right looks like "new feature" not "new
gui/interface on old feature"
2- vertical gui elements with rotated text.. not sure how I feel about
this, but it doesn't seem nice- at least avoid too much of it- you have
a lot of vertical text, I would guess (I haven't actually studied this)
that it is also harder to parse.
3-lotsa gradients on background elements- I'd say avoid this, others may
disagree, but you want to bring attention to things the user interacts
with, not add noise to the background.
4-scenes as tabs on 3d view only- this looks like a bad idea: scene
affects every window in blender, not just 3d view- besides, what if you
have multiple 3dviews? tabs on all of them? anyway, it's not clear, you
need to explain what you mean by it.
5-tabs everywhere: sure tabs can be cool, but this is starting to look
very cluttered. I *think* you are over-using them, but not a ui expert.
6-looks like you've added new "mode" buttons in the top header. this is
imo a massive step backwards, but some explanation could make it clear
why you do this.
7- the material editor you present doesn't look more functional or
use-able from the old. maybe I'm missing something.
8- you have long lists on the bottom right of the screen, would be nice
to know what the horizontal rows represent.
9- why is there wasted space along the edges of the 3d view? why is the
right edge wider?
10-the timeline at the bottom looks less functional that what we have.
11-overall impression is that you have a very text-heavy UI- lots of
things to read, but less things to change/interact with (in proportion)
I like to read books, but so much verbiage might get annoying.
12-your new windows look inflexible, or at least, they look like they
are designed to have exactly the proportions you see here.. even
locations. This might be a conflict with the overall ethos of
configurablity that blender has.

as lukep said, it's obvious you put some thought into this, more
explanation would be nice. I'm not a "UI must stay exactly the way it is
person" but it seems right now that you have lots of change for the sake
of change, not just to improve / solve a current problem.