[Bf-funboard] Eular rotation vs Quarternion rotation

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 01:39:16 CET 2008

Hi,

http://janek.kozicki.pl/phdthesis/kozicki_2007_PhD.pdf

> oops, that should be page 150, since you need "Euler
> angle" I guess?

Yes, that's it. (right after I wrote my other reply
too! guess we missed each other).

> Well implementing both of them would be exactly the
> same effort as
> implementing just one.

Conversion of discrete values isn't that much of a
problem, as you said.

What I assume will be a problem is converting the
interpolation of those values in a way that they
remain editable euler angles without loosing the
properties of quaternion interpolation.

> You know - internally blender still uses quaternions
> (it's really not
> possible to work with anything else internally).

Sorry to disappoint but quaternions are only used for
bones, Objects' rotations are done in euler angles as
this is "usually" more intuitive to edit and for
simple rotations yield acceptable results.

Martin