[Bf-funboard] Eular rotation vs Quarternion rotation

horace horace3d at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 20:04:53 CET 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 7:50 PM, Stefan Andersson <sanders3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone.
>
> I think this REALLY have to be discussed for future releases of
> Blender. As I have yet to meet an actual character animator who likes
> working with Quats. There are so many problems with how you are
> editing Quats that I don't really know where to begin.
>
> The main problem would be that we are looking at three axis, but are
> given four curves. When you are doing extensive editing for final
> adjustments you are also trying to limit the number of keyframes that
> you have. You refine the motion curve... but with quats that is almost
> impossible. You end up using more curves instead.
> Granted you don't run into gimbal lock, but you solve at least 90% of
> those problems with having rotation reordering XYZ, YZX, ZXY, etc..
>
> I know a lot of animators out there will agree with me.
>
> I'm aware that this might be a huge problem for the code base of
> Blender, but I think it should really be discussed and let the
> animators with some experience get heard. And for the.... well... ask
> the animators what's best, not what is the most logical way for a
> programmer :)

i would also like to see this. i skimmed over the meeting minutes and the
coders all said that eulers won't really work... but when i still used maya
i always animated with eulers and there never seemed to be much of a
problem. there must be some solution i guess? maybe some way to internally
still use quaternions and only use some euler conversion for editing?