[Bf-funboard] Eular rotation vs Quarternion rotation

Stefan Andersson sanders3d at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:50:52 CET 2008

Hello Everyone.

I think this REALLY have to be discussed for future releases of
Blender. As I have yet to meet an actual character animator who likes
working with Quats. There are so many problems with how you are
editing Quats that I don't really know where to begin.

The main problem would be that we are looking at three axis, but are
given four curves. When you are doing extensive editing for final
adjustments you are also trying to limit the number of keyframes that
you have. You refine the motion curve... but with quats that is almost
impossible. You end up using more curves instead.
Granted you don't run into gimbal lock, but you solve at least 90% of
those problems with having rotation reordering XYZ, YZX, ZXY, etc..

I know a lot of animators out there will agree with me.

I'm aware that this might be a huge problem for the code base of
Blender, but I think it should really be discussed and let the
animators with some experience get heard. And for the.... well... ask
the animators what's best, not what is the most logical way for a
programmer :)

over and out

regards
stefan andersson