[Bf-funboard] Named Layers

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Fri Oct 12 04:31:59 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 05:00:42PM -0400, David Bryant wrote:
>  All major 3D apps have named layer systems.I come from a Maya production background.My theory is that it has to start somewhere.I'm personally working on tying it in to the outliner at this very moment.I'm currently using Blender in a professional venue and the layer naming technique is a must for pro production.A dynamically allocated layer system is conventional and much more efficient which I can design and code but, as I mentioned and respectfully so,It has to start somewhere.My development of this feature will continue because of the nature of my profession in 3D and my usage of Blender in my production pipeline but I also want the Blender community to benifit from the work also.

A couple thoughts:

1) having a proposal or design document makes it easier for us to
understand what you are doing as opposed to trying to reverse engineer
your patch and makes it easier for you to get feedback.

2) sending html mail to a mailing list is considered bad manners.
Plus it makes for ugly msgs in the web archives.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net