[Bf-funboard] Hardware shader support for non-game engine 3D views in Blender.

Sangwoo Hong sahngwoo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 02:59:34 CET 2007

Working at a game company, dealing with hardware shaders is a daily
business.  It's pretty amazing what simple diffuse maps will look like
enhanced with some normal maps and spec maps.  And since I am not a
programmer I mostly deal with them in 3D applications like Max and Maya,
something as far as I know I can't do in Blender just yet.

Some time ago I saw the latest game engine demos for the time which
supported hardware shaders through...  I want to say Python bindings but I
could be wrong.  Well, when I saw that I thought it rather odd that we have
graphics this good in the game engine yet we're still stuck with the
solid/shaded/textured modes in the part of the program we use the most.  I
don't know about you but I think it would be great if we could view our
models shaded with real time shaders in 3D views outside of the game
engine.  Among other things, it would make Blender that much more attractive
to the ever growing number of video game developers both home grown and
professional to be able to look at their work as they will work in their
target platform without going through the hassle of exporting every time
they want to see what their work will really look like.

Phong.