[Bf-funboard] Named Layers

Peter Haehnlein hidarikiki at gmx.net
Sat Nov 10 12:51:07 CET 2007

about the layers:

   I never had any real problem with them. Of course the idea of tags is
good (although I as a bloody foreigner find 'layer' much more
understandable, just like the way I prefer 'merge' and 'remove doubles'
instead of welding verts). The term is more appropriate to 2D-Apps, but
at least I understood the concept right away without confusion.

   But there ARE things you can do with layers which are very helpful
and should not be forgotten.

   Just one example: I use the (german keyboard) the shift-minuskey
(it's the key left to the right shiftkey) to switch the eleventh layer
on and off. It's a great trick to switch between wire and shaded mode
for one single modelling-object when you have other objects which should
remain textured.

   Several features in Blender just vanished due to 'progress' like
different scales for the grid-axes or the option to add a lamp in
editmode and (quite naturally) exit editmode of the current mesh-object
in question.

   So, before you switch to another system, please check carefully,
what's possible with the old system. There are often hidden strengths.

cheers

Haunt