[Bf-funboard] Named Layers Blender wiki page

Jason van Gumster flaw at misaligned.net
Fri Nov 9 20:42:18 CET 2007

"Sangwoo Hong" <sahngwoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then perhaps it should be called "sets" instead of "layers".  Why use
> a word that has misleading implicit meaning when a perfectly fine
> word exists that actually describes what it does which you use to
> describe what it actually does. :)

Layering systems similar to Blender's do exist in other apps and their
called layers there, too.  I definitely recall seeing this in a couple
CAD apps.

> Semantics aside, I think the ability to exclusively group things
> irrespective of the scene graph should exists as well as the currently
> existing arbitrarily grouping functionality labeled as "layers".

Blender has this (in a way); they're called groups.  Of course, I don't
have much use for a system that requires mutually exclusive behavior.
If I want that behavior, then I'll just put the object in just one
layer or group.  If I want to move it to another layer or group, I'll
simply refrain from pressing SHIFT when I click the layer button (or
make sure the object is in only one group in the Object buttons).

> ...  After all, once one peels a layer off an onion
> and eats it, one can't peel that layer off of the onion again and eat
> it, again.

I would argue that this simply indicates that the onion is poorly
designed for 3D animation. ;)

  -Fweeb