[Bf-funboard] Named Layers Blender wiki page

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Fri Nov 9 20:16:31 CET 2007

your maya use case is very hard to justify in blender: because the
architecture of both apps is so different.
I think the "in Maya everything is a node" philosophy is not how blender
is built. clusters are just vertex groups. they belong the mesh, which
belongs to the object, and cannot be on two different layers, in blender
terms. I have a sneaky feeling that maya needs more compartmentalzation
tools precisely because it is so flexible, whereas in blender the
architecture is less flexible by design (where that is a bad or good
thing I don't discuss here) and so the data hiding happens automatic.
Your use case for Maya doesn't seem so problematic in blender, but if it
were to be implemented, it would have to be done differently for
different things i.e. "partitions" for vertex groups would probably end
up different than "partitions" for bones, partitions for objects, etc.
etc.
this sounds like a huge amount of work, brainlessly copying a feature
from another package, where it is not really needed, or fitting well
into the architecture of blender.

If we go back to blender layers, I see no reason for implementing
"exclusive" layers in blender, but it could be done. It won't help you
with bones, vertex groups, materials, ipo curves, or anything that isn't
an object in a scene.

Please give a cogent use scenario in blender about how/where this would
work or be useful. use cases from maya don't really make sense here.