[Bf-funboard] Euler for animator, Quaternions for Blender ! (I Second that)

Robert Ives robbibob at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:40:19 CEST 2007

> Following up a discussion in Comitters list:
>
> I also found myself struggling with Quaternions when retouching
> animation and agree that having a more understandable interface for
>
> animators (let's say, using Eulers instead) and let Blender to manage
> internally Quaternions would be a great improvement in workflow.

Hi malefico,

I totally agree, I took this up as you mentioned in the "Comitters
list" answering
a post by Roland Hess.

I paste in the relevant stuff:

I think we should really look at what our basic keyframe needs are and what
> we have got. My major problem
> character Animating in blender is the Quaternion Rotation IPO's which
> Blender got with the new Armatures
> a few years back. I live in Curve editors when I am at  work, it is one of
> the most important areas in 3d Animation
> but one I think really needs some work in blender. Most other programs I
> use have quaternions running in the
> background and Euler curves for the Animator to work with, this I think is
> the most important change
> needed at the moment. At the moment you have the 4 quaternion curves to
> fight with, which do a great job of
> quashing gimbals, but are hell on earth when you want to tweak that foot
> strike or sharpen that kick-off.

I really think this is a very important issue and one that if it can be
sorted out will be a great step the the right direction
for the Animation system.
Does anyone know what level of re-coding this would involve? Down and dirty
in the core animation code? Or a quick tweak?

-- nozzy

Robert Ives
Character Animator