[Bf-funboard] 3DSMax interface; maybe not such a good idea

Marin Myftiu marin at fw-190.com
Wed May 9 00:04:55 CEST 2007

I know that 3DSMax is more or less the industry leader in the field but, sincerely, thinking of it's interface as THE model to refer to is IMO a big mistake, because more than expert's analysis, it's the product of a continually stacking of options during each software refresh and the reason why they are not changing it is their countless legacy customers that simply are used to it.
Simply put, even if the face of the industry leader, the 3DSMax interface is conceptually one or even two decades old, while today, software like Lightwave, Carrara etc are much easier, intuitive and less tiring to use than 3DSMax.
Even though was a bit hard to learn for a dummy, one of the features I liked from the beginning in Blender was it's strange but very intuitive interface; It doesn't look ordered but, was it meant to be?! Is a bit hard to start with; yes but we can more effectively work to turn around this problem, rather than adopt an interface that was designed 20 years ago and with it's age, holds more problems than solutions...
Just have a brief reading at a problem I encountered in a forum and see how improperly placed it's options are.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1653083#1653083
In conclusion, I would advice everyone who is in charge if it, to better analyze this interface problem.
 Thanks,
Marin