[Bf-funboard] Importing content

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Fri Mar 30 08:03:37 CEST 2007

Alexander Ewering wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Campbell Barton wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What do people think of centering & resizing the 3D view onto imported
>> content? - (Numpad Del key)
>>
>> I taught of this while pointing out that importers should not create
>> data into layers that aren't enabled in the 3D view - which is a
>> common oversight for importer scripts at the moment.
>>
>> The rationale is that content from other files can have very different
>> scale then blender
>> (100's of times bigger or smaller)
>
> Probably something similar to the "Active Layer, At Cursor, Autosel"
> controls in the SHIFT-F1 menu would be nice - or the functionality at least
> :)

Add at the cursor location, good point!

Iv already made most importers add their data to visible layers (similar
from the users perspective to adding to the active layer), but adding at
the active layer could be better (matches adding objects and having
objects in multiple layers isnt that useful to start with)

This still dosnt get around the object scale issue, sometimes data will
be offset from 0,0,0 - so center cursor wont help in that case.

Python also has no access to the active layer at the moment.