[Bf-funboard] Just out of interest: DEL and C

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Mar 20 22:13:18 CET 2007

On 20/03/2007, at 10:31 PM, Roland Hess wrote:

> I disagree that it's moot, and that simply allowing users to make a
> patchwork of their keyboards is the silver bullet for issues like
> this. It is EXACTLY things like this that need to be considered in
> any overall address of the UI. How are people really using Blender?
> How well does that fit with the current UI? How should the UI
> change to better fit the way that people use the tools?
>
> I'm "rah rah!" for divorcing event handling from the line-by-line
> code, but it's not going to solve any of these problems by itself.

The thing that customisable keys will allow though, is an updating
and re-addressing of the default keyboard layout too, which of course
was designed for the toolset of 10 years ago. If things are
customisable, then you're a lot more free to change the default
layout, while providing an 'old-school' preset for backwards
compatibility for people who are worried about losing muscle memory.
That's why I haven't been too keen on the piecemeal changing of
hotkeys over releases, I'd rather see it all happen together if/when
we ever get these capabilities.

> Of course, maybe once it's done, some UI democracy can take place
> -- people can come up with what they think are good schemes, and
> then bribe prominent artists to start using and hawking their
> keyboard maps!

Indeed, perhaps this is best done as a step by step thing, like :
Allow customisability for one release without changing the defaults -
 > encourage people to make and share their own presets -> use that
information to inform a renewal in the next release afterwards. This
method seems to have worked pretty well with the icon files.

cheers

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net