[Bf-funboard] Freestyle into Blender: Howto?

Stéphane Grabli stephane.grabli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:02:55 CET 2007

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and comments!

I still need to get more familiar with Blender to fully
evaluate the different options suggested here, but
as far as my understanding is currently going, and based
on your answers, I would say that it makes sense
to integrate Freestyle as another renderer whose output would
be composited in raster space.

In any case, it's certainly possible to display the outlines
in the opengl viewport, for preview purposes,
as some geometry living in image space, on top of whatever
else is there.

To answer Jason's following concern:
"I'm not sure how it would work as my
understanding of Freestyle is that it applies itself to the scene as a
whole. "
It's true that the information is computed on the whole scene (visibility is
a good
example of an information that can't be computed separately per object),
but that doesn't prevent from localizing the stylization by applying shaders
on
a per object (or group of objects) basis (even if it's not currently working
like that),
as long as they all use the same information.

I hope my lack of knowledge of blender doesn't make me misunderstand
the ideas proposed here, but in any case, I'll make sure to carefully read
them again
when I know blender better :-)

Thanks again!

Stephane