[Bf-funboard] Blender CAD?

Early Ehlinger early at respower.com
Mon Jun 25 18:11:28 CEST 2007

Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) wrote:
> Blender's Scene can already be used for this quite well for the camera.  Not
> sure what you mean by "tables, etc",

Not all of the information in a CAD drawing is the 3d model.  It would
be nice to, say, include some HTML or something similar on a page.

To really do Architectural CAD right, you need something like a
rudimentary page-layout system where you can insert views of a model,
small bits of documentaion, tables, and the like.

I'm not familiar enough with the Scene object to know if it fits what I
mean.  Using scenes, is it possible to have two separate cameras render
to the same output file/page?  For example, in architectural CAD work,
it is not uncommon to have 3 drawings on one page, along with a parts
list (beam X from vendor Y, cut to Z length), the Architect's logo, and
various and sundry other info.
> The ortho mode of a camera already has a scale factor, there just needs to be
> some way to hard link the drawing units to the camera units.

Sounds good, as long as one can lay out multiple cameras.  Also, being
able to configure layer visibility on a per-camera basis would be very
useful.
> But, while I agree that Blender could benefit from an expanded set of CAD-like
> tools, and some other features of CAD programs could be useful (printable
> views), I don't think Blender should endeavor to become a CAD package.  There
> are too many opportunities for the needs to diverge.  When the CAD users want
> Method A and the Animation users want Method B, then we get usually end up
> with Method C and no-one is satisfied.

This is most assuredly a big challenge.  I've heard rumors of a UI
rewrite - perhaps those involved can keep in mind the notion of having
pre-configured UI layouts that are easily and obviously selectable,
named, and shareable (i.e., download skin "X").  That way, when a CAD
user wants A, and Animation user wants B, you create "A" and "B" and put
each in their respective UI layout.
> Perhaps you could cut the editing engine and controls out of Blender and make
> a separate app and include an elegant way to seamlessly transfer data between
> them.

This is a nightmare waiting to happen; keeping the file formats in synch
would be utterly horrid, unless of course the goal is to produce an
all-out fork.  I don't think this would serve the Blender community very
well, because most of the CAD features would also be beneficial for
animators/artists.  For example, with a page layout thing, you could
easily set up a render with a comic-book style.  I.e., multiple short
animations, each in their own sub-frame on a larger display.  Surely the
creative folks that use Blender would find unexpected uses for them as well.

-- Early Ehlinger, President, ResPower, Inc.