[Bf-funboard] Blender CAD?

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Fri Jun 22 05:48:08 CEST 2007

I agree.

> - We need more specific requests with implementations from somebody who
> understands how blender works (an advanced user or dev) OR have a user
> discuss with developer(r).
>
> - Write up a list of features with basic implementation details (wiki
> would work for this, if you dont have access - post here and somebody
> else can add to the wiki).
>
> - Prioritize the list.
>
> - Write 4-6 of these higher priority features that are not too much work.
>
> - Release (graphicall?) post builds here and discuss on bf-commiters.
>
> - Make a branch and include these patches (I think we need some evidence
> of real work before we have a new branch)
>
> - Review new features after some development for inclusion in blender &
> continue development.
>
> ___________________________________
>
> I list of features could look like this.
>
> * dimensioning - This could be a linked list of dimensions attached to
> each object- the dimensions could simply index 2 verts, and store some
> settings (text size, units... etc)
>
> * extrude modifier - very easy to do, Iv written a lathe modifier that
> could be simplified to extrude.
>
> * basic support for metric units - add 2 functions - bu_from_units,
> bu_to_units - would convert 4.0mm or 0.3km to BU and back - With a scene
> option "1 BU is 1mm|1m|1km"... etc
>
> * Curve line color and width display. possibly dashed line as well.
>
> * Improve tools for working with curves - nice curve drawing modes
> constrained to set axises perhaps ....

I would add a couple.

In engineering, drafting and tooling, objects are positioned in direct
relationship and very close proximity to other objects. all objects remain
separate entities, some are fixed to others with fasteners or welding but remain
individual. Ideally they should be individually selectable for modification.
With the choice of vert and edge color per object, singular or multiple object
selection could be by colour.

Remove vert edges unnecessary to engineering. tooling design. For instance when
differencing a cylinder through a rectangular block to create a cavity or drill
hole, corner verts draw to the cylinder verts, in tooling design these are
unnecessary clutter. They don't draw in Turbocad , Auto Cad, SolidWorks, etc

Ability to unjoin meshes. For instance when designing press tools or plastic
molds where several steel plate objects are bolted together. To drill a constant
hole through all without selecting each in turn and removing the previous
objects, plate meshes must be joined. There's no easy way to separate the parts
of the mold / press tool afterwards without knife loop cut which is unacceptable
in plastic and press tooling.

Ability to bevel selected edges and/ or  radius selected edges only to
millimeter measurements.

Layer dialog , 100 layers each one of which the base color of selected object
can be  changed (choice of 256 colours), objects can be locked and/or hidden.

Render the screen view. Lighting and texture affects screen render. Ability to
rotate screen render view. This is probably a Yafray or BlenderRender matter.

Choice of centre for rotation. Default rotation at centre of object regardless
of zoom or cursor position.
  Zoom centralises to mouse cursor.

Dimensioning on selected edges only, Popup diaog for single or multiple parallel
dimension entry of selected edges

Database selection of standard objects and symbols. Users submit standard
objects to a central database.

Relationships of roofs, windows and doors to walls.

Apologies for length and complexity of message.
Roger