[Bf-funboard] Blender CAD?

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Mon Jun 18 01:54:13 CEST 2007

  And I don't understand, when people say, Blender
> is dedicated to artists or mainly to animation artists. As an artist
> I want to claim that art also needs accuracy. In architecture an design it this is
> obvious, but I think also of sculpturing (like in minimal art),
> installation,

Automatic snap of the knife tool to the nearest vertex would for me, eliminate
creating other sets of 2 or 3 vertices in very close proximity to a pre existing
vertex. from which I wish to start cutting. I haven't tried the snap as yet but
will in a couple of weeks or so.

I completely agree that artists need accuracy,  it's not my area of expertise,
although I am starting to learn 3D sculpture on blender creating some characters
my daughter's science fiction movie/ game series. I'm as slow as a wet week in
this and my learning curve is steep.

There is / are significantly more and different things to consider in Cad
although the basic modeling remains the same.
Cad needs to deal with things already in existence like windows, doors and
sills/ frames for these. Roofs and walls in relation to floors and each other.
Furniture placement, automatic stair generating, snapping doors and windows into
walls where a wall know its relationship to a door or window.
Then there are the more basic requirements like standard building materials and
their standard shapes, like timber planks  or an RSJ or RHS steel beam and
things like plumbing pipes and electrical wiring and their architectural
symbols. then bolts, screws, nuts, washers, rivets and the list goes on.
These form an intrinsic part of Cad and the designer doesn't want to design each
and every component. I have these in TurboCad so IMSI must have  obtained them
from somewhere I guess.

Bringing CAD to Blender needs a number of us to get together and start providing
comprehensive standard materials lists and components so the developers don't
have to work this in also.

I've had a look at all the current cad offerings in Linux and while all are cute
and functional in some way or other they don't come close to Blender for
universality. Floors, walls, roofs fascias etc can all be created from an
appropriately positioned and sized plane object and extruded to length.
It would be tops to be able to extrude a plane or circle along a bezier line
instead of having to create the appropriate bezier shape first.

Apologies for the length of this email

Off subject completely and I apologise for this after thought:
If someone could find a way of making Turbocad work in Linux without wine we
could have a very comprehensive cad without the redevelopment.
Turbocad is given away free on Computer magazines once versions are 3-4 years old.
Roger