[Bf-funboard] Blender CAD?

Tom Musgrove letterrip at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 19:24:35 CEST 2007

Overcomer Man wrote:
> Why not add dimensions to the drawings to enable Blender to be used as a
> CAD program?  It may have dimensions somewhere but not that I've seen in
> the video tutorials yet.

The program is primarily directed at animation artists.  There have been
scripts that have been developed to add 'CAD' like features to Blender
search blenderartists.org

> Blender is so goofy, with an interface made for space monkeys instead of
> engineers, why not redevelop the whole thing?

I'm sure such insightful critique will earn you a great deal of support
:)  Seriously though changes are planned so that those who don't care
for the interface will be more easily able to customize it.

>  I like that its free and
> has video tutorials but that's about it.  Who needs the camera when it
> should be assumed the whole frame is what the camera sees?

Blender is an animation suite - different cameras have different aspect
ratios' you may want different views on the same scene; etc.

> Then if you add one or two other items
> like rendering, you'd have a much easier package.

You clearly have little or no experience with Blender - it has powerful
integrated rendering; it also has snapping capabilities.  However it is
not a CAD package (although it can be useful for such work).

> Oh, and regarding the .DXF import which doesn't work -- either delete
> the command from the GUI or make it work right.  There are already
> plenty of bug reports about it.  The false advertizing makes me want to
> dive back out of Blender and try something else.

Please feel free to dive out and try something else.  DXF support works
quite well, but it is incomplete.  There is an updated version of the
DXF importer at blenderartists.org which supports more elements.

LetterRip