[Bf-funboard] Blender CAD?

Overcomer Man overcomer.man at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 19:13:51 CEST 2007

Why not add dimensions to the drawings to enable Blender to be used as a CAD
program?  It may have dimensions somewhere but not that I've seen in the
video tutorials yet.

Blender is so goofy, with an interface made for space monkeys instead of
engineers, why not redevelop the whole thing?  I like that its free and has
video tutorials but that's about it.  Who needs the camera when it should be
assumed the whole frame is what the camera sees?  Having taken a college
course in SolidWorks I know even it could be greatly simplified.  All you
really need for basic 3D CAD is a line, arc, extrude and dimensions.  If you
don't want to put dimensions between disconnected items in a view, fine but
you need an autosnap to make parts from different files fit.  Then if you
add one or two other items like rendering, you'd have a much easier package.

Oh, and regarding the .DXF import which doesn't work -- either delete the
command from the GUI or make it work right.  There are already plenty of bug
reports about it.  The false advertizing makes me want to dive back out of
Blender and try something else.