[Bf-funboard] rendering speedup

Marin Myftiu marin at fw-190.com
Wed Feb 21 17:01:13 CET 2007

Hello,
I have long thought about the optimizations issue in rendering and considering ALL modern CPUs support SSE, SSE2 instructions and those of the last 2 years also support SEE3 and 64bit instructions, a couple of blender builds optimized for these instructions would be appreciated by the whole community.
Unofficial SSE2 optimized builds speed up render times up to 30% and SSE3 combined with 64bit up to 80%. All the major commercial 3D software are also transiting to 64 bit and it would be very helpful if Blender went in 64 bit and SSE3 optimized flavors too.
On the standard 32bit build as well as in the 64 bit one, Blender could also activate these optimizations automatically on startup.30 to 80% of improvement make this a very important issue in my opinion and in 2007, relying only on MMX is very penalizing for people seeking top performance.