[Bf-funboard] Default Camera Orientation

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Sun Dec 9 19:54:01 CET 2007

> Align View/Objects:
> -------------------
> View -> Object X Axis
> View -> Object Y Axis
> View -> Object Z Axis
> -------------------
> Object X Axis -> View
> Object Y Axis -> View
> Object Z Axis -> View

It's looking pretty cumbersome.. I'm not sure I like view and object
alignment controls in the same menu- violation of the separation of
church and state?

 we already have an align view to selected menu-item (and hotkey) that
could be extended multi axis if needed (perhaps with modifiers for the
hotkey)

--In another thought: perhaps the view alignment xyz *does* belong in
the 3d header: after all it affects that "space" - in which case it
would be a selectable *view alignment lock*: Turn it on and the view
always aligns itself to the selection, turn it off and the view snaps
back to where you had it before the toggle was turned on. You could even
make it resemble the manipulators with it's "global/local/normal"-- in
practice, I can see people who like 4 window views loving it in global
mode- so long as it affected only alignment , not panning. I'm not sure
that the local/normal options would be useful....

The object alignment to view could be in a small 3 Item menu with a
hotkey popping it up... I'd suggest having it in the transform
properties panel in object mode too, except that's already getting
pretty crowded.