[Bf-funboard] Default Camera Orientation

Doug Ollivier doug at mudpuddle.co.nz
Sat Dec 8 23:35:08 CET 2007

Martin Poirier wrote:
> --- Doug Ollivier <doug at mudpuddle.co.nz> wrote:
>

>> Below is a link to a quick mock-up.
>>
>> http://blendergo.mudpuddle.co.nz/proposals/align.png
>>
>> The concept is to introduce a small per object
>> toggle icon to the side
>> of the object name so that the default behaviour can
>> be overridden at
>> the location the user makes the decision (rather
>> than in a preferences
>> area). This also has two more advantages.  Decisions
>> are per object.
>> There is less clutter because menus/lists of objects
>> are not duplicated
>> in user preferences header.
>>
>> Opinions...
>>

> I think we might be going a bit too far with all those
> complex options, per objects defaults and whatnot.
>
> A simple "Align with View" function (like "Align
> Camera to View", but just rotation, not location
> change) would probably do the trick AND would be a
> more generally useful option (what if the object is
> already there and you want to realign it, ...)
> Also, like I said earlier, I often use the aligned to
> view addition to add and align lamps at the same time,
> so a function to realign with view would be equally
> useful to realign lamps later: just rotate the view
> around and align.
>
> Opinions?

Sounds fair to me.  so this is what happens.

1) You add an object, it is aligned with the 3DGrid
2) You click Align with view icon (in the 3D header of object mode)

3) You select any object no-matter how long ago they were added, and
click Align with view for the same results.?

seems simple enough to me.

Doug