[Bf-funboard] UI translation issues

Ted Schundler tschundler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:04:07 CEST 2007

On 4/10/07, Κωστής Καρβουνιάρης <neogen556 at yahoo.gr> wrote:
> However, I see that certain "value fields", with a string and a
> variable value cannot be changed. Such cases are mostly in the "Render
> buttons" (F10), for example XParts and YParts (Render tab), Sta and End
> (Anim tab), SizeX and SizeY (Format tab), and so on. I noticed that none of
> the available translations have any effect on these buttons either.

So, I read this and decided to look at the code. The discoveries may
be helpful for you: It appears that Blender's translations are handled
in its text rendering code - just before text is displayed. That's why
there's no authoritative .pot

The only way to translate such cases is to have separate entries for
each value - i.e. msgid: "Xparts: 1", "Xparts: 2", etc. It also has
the side effect that if text is too long to fit on a button, it uses a
clipped version of the original (english) text, rather than clipping
the translation.

Reading list archives, it sounds like the gist of responses have been
that tooltip translation will work, so at least the user has that
much. The current approach is a quick hack that works close enough for
most stuff without having to touch most of the code.

Ted