[Bf-funboard] Blender Basic Version

Karl Kühberger kuehberger at gmx.net
Fri Nov 17 11:34:41 CET 2006

Hi!

I am teaching Blender to youngsters for some years now,
and often they complain about the complexity of the software.

Therefore I want to suggest an idea for discussion:

What about a Blender Basic Version, which has only basic
functionality in modelling and animation and which is very
easy to overview. For example there could be in materials-menu
only a simple color picker, specularity, reflection, ...

 From my non-expert (I am not a coder) point-of-view I could
imagine two ways:

1. Two Blender versions: "Blender Basic" und "Blender Pro"

2. Only one version with full functionality but the option to
switch the user interface between "Basic-Mode" and "Professional Mode".
There could be a switch button in the i-menu.
Additionally (for blender-newbies) after starting Blender, there could
be a simple window, where you can choose between "Pro" and "Basic"
and a checkbox "Don't ask me again".
On this window there could be also a link to a Basic Videotutorial.

What do you think about the idea?

Karl