[Bf-funboard] Hello, and transform

bkurdali at freefactory.org bkurdali at freefactory.org
Sun Nov 5 16:38:55 CET 2006

Hi all, just joined at theeth's suggestion.
Was talking on BA *cough* vbulletin about transform issues, and
guessing that now was a good time to review it, since theeth has to
bolt on the new snapping work he does.
I admit that I have "special use" needs, since I look for ways to make
animation easier, and to make rigs better interfaces.

Some issues:

consitancy: manipulators default to user selected transform space (
global/local/normal/view) while other methods default to global, with
an option to go to user selected. Since global is the the "default"
anyway, I don't think it would be too bad to make the other methods of
initiating a transform behave like the manipulators (user-selected is
default).

locking & default transform (bones only): bones on click drag do a
default transform with the following order of preference: location >
rotation. If the bone is a connected child, or it's locations are all
locked it rotates.
1- It would be nice to include scale in the equation
2- It would be good if object transform (at least as far as locking)
did the same
3- (Probably impossible) can transform take into account constraints too?

locking and constraining:
If rotation on X and Y are locked (for a bone) the default rotation
should go to a Z constrained rotation not a general rotation; the
current way forces you to constrain the rotation- this should at least
be the case if the user selected space of the rotation matches the
space of the locks, though arguably, once you've locked rotation in
this fashion you really are limiting the (useful) spaces one can
rotate in.

There's more, and some of these issues might need more careful
thought- just thought I'd bring it up for people to think about.