[Bf-funboard] New and impressive tools from polyboost

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Sep 23 21:21:14 CEST 2005

Hi,

Petter Myrlid Sundnes wrote:
> The distortion seems to come when applying spherical textureMode, so if you use
> spherical unwrap in any 3D application (be it LightWave, Maya or Cinema4D), you
> wont have the distortion.

I compared spherical UV unwrap in Maya and Blender, the result looks
nearly identical to me... UVs just don't fit very well on a sphere, I wonder
how the other apps do it better.

 >> Tom M wrote:
>> > Polyboost has a number of interesting new features
>> >
>> > http://www.cmlcreative.com/Videos/PolyBoost2_video.avi
>> >
>> > UVs
>> >
>> > Brecht at the end is a tool for tweaking uv coordinates in the 3d
>> > viewport looks really great for reducing distortion

It seems to me they just took a nice unwrap, moved some UVs out of
place, and are then just putting those back :). There are very simple
formulas (e.g. harmonic weights) to put UVs locally in the right place.

Still, it might be useful every now and then for things other than what
they showed, but I think it's better to focus on "higher level" tools
instead of adding a bunch of "low level" UV tweaking tools.

Cheers,
Brecht.