[Bf-funboard] Three Features

Nathan Moore eekowa at hotpop.com
Mon Mar 14 19:40:15 CET 2005

I have three ideas for features.

*The first, which may have already been suggested, is editing the
properties of all selected items simultaneously.  I find it annoying to
have to, for instance, keep having to go back and forth between
selecting objects and choosing a material.  Also, I find this annoying
with selecting face properties for the game feature.  It takes a long
time to manually set each face to use lighting.

*The second, which is an idea I find exciting, would be to be able to
dynamically define additional properties for vertices, edges, faces,
meshes, objects, empties, etc.  These new properties can be accessible
through python scripting and they can be saved in the .blend file to
retain the data.  The properties should be able to be created, deleted,
and modified by python.

For instance, the user interface design could be similar to the
following diagram:
+----------------------------+-+  +-----------------+  +---+
| Pop-down of property names |V|  | Property value  |  | X |
+----------------------------+-+  +-----------------+  +---+

+----------------------------------+  +------------------+-+
| Name: (to change property name)  |  | Type Pop-down    |V|
+----------------------------------+  +------------------+-+

The types of properties can be (although not limited to): Integer,
Float, Text, Toggle.

This can allow for additional data (mass, length of fur, stiffness, etc)
to be created and used when needed, while providing an easy to edit
interface during, for instance, mesh editing.  This can provide a more
rapid expansion of Blender's features without them needing to be
hard-coded into Blender itself.

*The third is to allow python to do post-production on the rendered
image, per render.  For instance, one could use Python to edit the image
data by applying an artistic paint brush effect to each frame of an
animation.  Perhaps python scripts could also be linked into other parts
of the render pipe-line (shaders perhaps).