[Bf-funboard] New mesh structure

Ted Schundler tschundler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 23:54:28 CET 2005

Are you planning to have a new mesh type, or replacing current
structures? If you're trying to replace current structures, then
obviously its essential that it supports 0..n faces sharing an edge
like Blender does now. If not, well, I personally like being able to
have non-closed shapes, like planes, but I don't think I've needed
more than two.
To support non-closed faces, the half edges could have the pointer to
the next edge null, but then you have problem with finding all the
edges around a vert and such. Verticies would need to have an updated
pointer to a "start" edge that guarantees looping though the edges
will get all of them - i.e. the most clockwise or most
counterclockwise edge (depending upon what is inside vs. outside).
It's a little annoying, but not too bad.
To support edges with n faces...well then you have to get messy.

Ted