[Bf-funboard] GPU accelerated rendering

Konrad Haenel public at konrad-haenel.de
Wed Oct 20 22:27:16 CEST 2004

Let me make my thoughts clear on some of the issues discussed here.

First of all, I don't think Gelato is suited to bring GPU-rendering to
an open-source project. In fact, there are too many drawbacks of Gelato
to even consider it:

- it's a commercial product, only the Plugin for usage with Renderman is
free
- it only supports nVIDIA cards and only few of them
- it's not even available for Windows yet

I definitely don't want Gelato, that's for sure.

Now on to the problem of inconsistent output in different cards:

Yes, output on different brands of cards might differ, but I don't think
this should be a reason to dump the whole idea of GPU-rendering
completely. I have read tests on picture-quality of Doom 3 recently,
where there was an in depth-coverage of the differences of captured pics
on different cards. It is true that actually every card rendered
pictures differently, but once some of the deeper settings of this game
were changed those differences weren't visible to the naked eye anymore.
Only bytewise comparison of identical pictures made those differences
visible. Although this might lead to problems in some cases I doubt it
will be a hindrance for most users.

Now on to the general idea about using OpenGL:

There's simply no other choice. And no ominous "them" decide what will
be part of the next generation of OpenGL but the OpenGl Architectural
Review Board. AFAIK the Blender GUI is based entirely on OpenGL, so the
same questions you raised about it would apply there too. This doesn't
seem to bother anyone, though. I guess what's good enough for the GUI
should be good enough for the Renderer as well.

So how about rendering pro work with an OpenGL-GPU-renderer?

I don't see the main usage of a GPU-renderer in doing the final
rendering. It would have it's main appliance during production, where
animatics have to be tested, lighting has to be adjusted etc. The
increase of speed during these tasks would be the main benefit of quick
GPU rendering. Absolute precision isn't a must for this, but time is
quite an issue. Doing only animations myself I know how much this would
enhance my workflow.

And lastly I feel the urge to quote:

"I stand by what I said.  If you want Gelato (et al.), the best way to get it
is to support the Blenderman project.  If we had a fully useable Renderman
interface today, we'd have GPU rendering (plus about 20 other software
renderers) _TODAY_ .  Some work on Blenderman has already been done."

Gelato isn't free. We might have nice watermarked images with it's
evaluation copy now, in case we own an nVIDA Quadro FX board
(requirement). That's some downside I see.

Nothing against Blenderman, I really think this is one important
project, but it simply doesn't have anything to do with my proposal
which is:

"OpenGL GPU rendering"

So if someone works on Blenderman, don't divert your attention to this
topic. But for the dev's out there willing to do something different and
hot I suggest thinking it over.

And some more points why developing our own GPU-renderer would be good:

- it'd release a GPU-renderer in the OS-community, something that seems
to be currently missing
- it's highly educational for the devs and might lead to interesting
additions to the Blender GUI and GameBlender
- it's more interesting to have a bigger choice of renderers instead of
having to rely on only few

So much for today,

Konrad
www.konrad-haenel.de