[Bf-funboard] Texture baker

trip bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:25:31 -0400

I had a long talk with theeth about this and I still failed to show him
why I am serious about this. So maybe someone else.

A texture baker is a simple behind the scenes tool that just does it's
thing. The thing it does is show a preview of a texture shader on a
mesh. The preview does not take in radio or raytracing it just shows a
fast image in the 3d view. The current shader preview in the material
view window is just this, but it shows nothing of what will truly be on
a mesh at all until you try a pre render.

Now a pre-render is the best way to truly see this image effect on the
mesh, it is a boring waiting game. A typical pre-render without any
fancy lighting and OSA turned off at a basic size image that is easy to
see will take about a second or two per render depending on the size of
the mesh. To quote theeth "boohoo". Yes boohoo, but it is time and it
is time off of work towards the prefect texture. And this does not even
take into account an animation test. To add to this if you have to
constantly tweak the settings and continue pre-renders it will add up
time very very fast.

So the answer to this is how can we get the texture onto the mesh as an
image. In the 3d view with potato texture mode a mesh that is uv mapped
is viewable in realtime to rotate and transform the mesh however you
like and the speed is unbelievable in how fast it renders a mesh as it
is just realtime with a texture image applied to it.

I know of the ways to UV unwrap a mesh and render a texture then
reapply it to the mesh as a Uv texture. But this is a slow process and
is in contradiction to tweaking, each and every tweak will take time to
render and save and open.

Also there is the method of applying vertex colors, but this will take
a lot of mesh to show up the image at a reasonable detail to get
anything from it. While a uv map can be applied onto a low poly cube
and still have a great amount of detail to see.

So lets cut to the chase. Texture baking is needed badly. It will
increase shader preview speed. I have asked the python scripters a lot
for this but it seems no one can figure it out yet, though I would
think it could be a better item in python script. Though C is faster.

It would also be great for the GameEngine. Anyone hate the idea of
making Blender faster?