[Bf-funboard] blender mouse buttons on William's site

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:24:31 +1000

Hi William,
I think your page here isn't complete:
http://www.shadeless.dk/ui/mouse_buttons.htm

It doesn't mention shift-RMB-click which is used to toggle the selection
status of individual 3D objects... you can even unselect everything.

So maybe shift-LMB-click could be used to do the same thing as that.

Though I never used it (maybe due to not knowing about it) I think the old
RMB-drag thing was pretty good...

you could do the same kind of thing with the LMB... and still let the LMB be
border select if it is partly modelled on the Windows OS filebrowser (may be
the same in other OS's).

Basically
LMB-click - if not near any selected items, select an item where mouse is,
deselect others

LMB-click & release (no drag) - if multiple items are where mouse is, cycle
through them, otherwise select item near mouse, deselect other items

LMB-drag - if the initial click begins over a selected item, all of the
selection is moved. Esc and maybe RMB can abort the move. Ctrl-Z should be
able to be used to undo the movement.

LMB-drag - if the initial click isn't over a selected item, then while the
LMB is held, a selection rectangle can be drawn. Items which touch (or are
enclosed???) by the rectangle become selected, other previous selected items
become deselected.

shift-LMB-drag - if the initial click isn't over a selected item....
selection rectangle - except that nothing gets deselected.

shift-LMB-drag - if the initial click is over a selected item, do the same
thing as LMB-drag.

alt-LMB-drag - if the initial click isn't over a selected item....
deselection rectangle.

alt-LMB-click item near mouse is deselected

ctrl-LMB - place cursor (like William suggested)

I don't really think ctrl-LMB-drag would be very useful for doing
gestures... if the left hand is at the homerow (asdf) then s,r,g are pretty
easy to press.

- Luke.