[Bf-funboard] Re: Flash, Layers & Max (Thorsten Wilms)

Karim Nassar bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:39:18 -0500

> Funny, the layer manager and track view from 3dsmax 6 (demo) was what inspired me
> to think about combining timeline and layer management. What of course reminded
> me of Flash.
> I alreday have a bunch of screenshots from 3dsmax. I might put up a page with those
> and some descriptions of how it works.
>
> Oh and while I previously was all for keeping the button array, I now changed
> my mind. It doesn't work that good on closer examination.

Well, keep in mind that not everybody is going to be using the timeline
all the time. Even in Flash, it's not as much a given these days (I use
Flash for rapid prototyping of programs, not animation, so my Flash
"movies" rarely have more than a few frames). I may use blender for many
hours for modeling and only worry about animation (timeline) when the
model is done.

In other words, it may not be the best use of screen real-estate to have
Layer/Object Management and the Timeline inexorably linked. Since
Blender already has the feature to open and manage multiple window
frames, I'd think it's better not to link things that don't have to be
linked.

--Karim