[Bf-funboard] OpenML and NLE

The Fallen Weeble bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:41:32 -0500

This is just my opinion, but just like building CAD tools directly into
Blender was/is a bad idea, this is also a bad idea.  The sequencer is
just that: a sequencer.  Let Blender be good at one thing.  Now, using
Blender as a base to start a project to make an NLE isn't such a bad
idea... or writing plugins and extentions (a la BlenderCAD) to the
vanilla Blender isn't a bad idea.  But having this functionality added
by default is not going to help things... it's outside the scope of what
Blender is: a good, small 3D app.

Regarding Cinelerra, it does admittedly have some issues.  However, it's
improved quite a bit in the last year or so (the interface still needs a
lot of help) with the help of a secondary development team in the
community patching and adding to the app outside of the main branch
(like the tuhopuu/bf-blender relationship).  They actually take it upon
themselves to automakify each release that heroines puts out and merge
it with their cvs version.  These developers are actually big admirers
of Blender and there have been rumblings of handling their version of
the interface in a manner similar to Blender (OpenGL and what-not), but
the task is HUGE and the likelihood of merging it with main branch isn't
that great, so no one has attempted to tackle it yet.=20
Check out their website at http://cvs.cinelerra.org, it's good stuff.

In a nutshell, though, I think that while having full-blown NLE
functionality in Blender might be nice, it's definitely outside of the
scope of the app.  Extending it separately or using it as a base for a
separate NLE project would probably be a better idea... and Blender and
this yet to be created NLE app will be better because of it.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Later.

  Fweeb