[Bf-funboard] Weighted sub surfs

Roel Spruit bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:36:37 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C41CF0.C9F82C70

ctrl-alt-rmb is edge select.

Roel
  -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
  Van: bf-funboard-admin@blender.org
[mailto:bf-funboard-admin@blender.org]Namens Benjamin Freundorfer
  Verzonden: woensdag 7 april 2004 20:06
  Aan: bf-funboard@blender.org
  Onderwerp: Re: [Bf-funboard] Weighted sub surfs

  through two vertices "selected" edges can already be visible, when you
turn on "draw edges" in editmode in editin menu...

  the point is, you can't clearly select edges via vertices. when you want
to select 3 edges of a quad you have to select all 4 vertices which then can
only be interpreted by the program as all 4 edges are selected. The same
thing happens when you select faces via vertices.
  So we really need edge and face select mode. Still I think you can work
without that but it would be nice to have it.

  Konrad Haenel wrote:
    Humm... but you can select edges simply by selecting the vertices that
create the edge. That's how it works in Blender, and I think this is quite a
good approach on selecting geometry. This could be enhanced by making the
selected edges visible (by colouring them), though. But apart from it, I
didn't miss any selection methods yet. Doing everything by selecting
appropriate vertices seems to be a lot cleaner and elegant to me.

    William Reynish wrote:

The trouble with this is that Blender doesn't have an
edge select mode. All programs that support weighted
subsurfs have an edge select mode. We need one anyway
(a la Wings), so who is up for grabs?

 --- David Cuny <dcuny@lanset.com> skrev: > Nathan
Allworth wrote:

This smoothing that takes place has to have a

number associated

with it, a number of how much smoothing should

take place on

that area of the mesh, or that mesh.

No, not really. The number refers to how many times
the operation is
performed. So if you smooth mesh M0, you get a new
mesh, M1:

   M0 --> M1

To get a smoother version of M1, you can perform the
same operation on M1 to
get M2:

   M1 --> M2

each time you perform the operation, you get a
smoother version of the mesh,
but you also get a new mesh (the intermediate meshes
are discarded).

Here's a link that should explain it (lots of
pictures, no math):

http://www.eas.asu.edu/~cse470/resources/subdivision/

-- David Cuny

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter
og virusscan

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C41CF0.C9F82C70

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2722.900" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D446263620-07042004><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>ctrl-alt-rmb is edge select.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D446263620-07042004><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D446263620-07042004><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Roel</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----<BR><B>Van:</B>=20
  bf-funboard-admin@blender.org =
[mailto:bf-funboard-admin@blender.org]<B>Namens=20
  </B>Benjamin Freundorfer<BR><B>Verzonden:</B> woensdag 7 april 2004=20
  20:06<BR><B>Aan:</B> bf-funboard@blender.org<BR><B>Onderwerp:</B> Re:=20
  [Bf-funboard] Weighted sub surfs<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>through two =
vertices=20
  "selected" edges can already be visible, when you turn on "draw edges" =
in=20
  editmode in editin menu...<BR><BR>the point is, you can't clearly =
select edges=20
  via vertices. when you want to select 3 edges of a quad you have to =
select all=20
  4 vertices which then can only be interpreted by the program as all 4 =
edges=20
  are selected. The same thing happens when you select faces via =
vertices.<BR>So=20
  we really need edge and face select mode. Still I think you can work =
without=20
  that but it would be nice to have it.<BR><BR>Konrad Haenel wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3Dmid407424F9.60404@konrad-haenel.de =
type=3D"cite">Humm... but=20
    you can select edges simply by selecting the vertices that create =
the edge.=20
    That's how it works in Blender, and I think this is quite a good =
approach on=20
    selecting geometry. This could be enhanced by making the selected =
edges=20
    visible (by colouring them), though. But apart from it, I didn't =
miss any=20
    selection methods yet. Doing everything by selecting appropriate =
vertices=20
    seems to be a lot cleaner and elegant to me.<BR><BR>William Reynish=20
    wrote:<BR>
    <BLOCKQUOTE =
cite=3Dmid20040407154259.90392.qmail@web13607.mail.yahoo.com=20
    type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">The trouble with this is that Blender =
doesn't have an
edge select mode. All programs that support weighted
subsurfs have an edge select mode. We need one anyway
(a la Wings), so who is up for grabs?

 --- David Cuny <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E =
href=3D"mailto:dcuny@lanset.com">&lt;dcuny@lanset.com&gt;</A> skrev: =
&gt; Nathan
Allworth wrote:
  </PRE>
      <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite">
        <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">This smoothing that =
takes place has to have a
      </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">number associated=20
    </PRE>
        <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">with it, a number of =
how much smoothing should
      </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">take place on=20
    </PRE>
        <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">that area of the mesh, =
or that mesh.=20
      </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">No, not really. The number =
refers to how many times
the operation is=20
performed. So if you smooth mesh M0, you get a new
mesh, M1:

   M0 --&gt; M1

To get a smoother version of M1, you can perform the
same operation on M1 to=20
get M2:

   M1 --&gt; M2

each time you perform the operation, you get a
smoother version of the mesh,=20
but you also get a new mesh (the intermediate meshes
are discarded).

Here's a link that should explain it (lots of
pictures, no math):

 =20

    </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!----><A =
class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.eas.asu.edu/%7Ecse470/resources/subdivision/">http://w=
ww.eas.asu.edu/~cse470/resources/subdivision/</A>
  </PRE>
      <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">-- David Cuny

Yahoo! Mail (<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://dk.mail.yahoo.com">http://dk.mail.yahoo.com</A>) - =
Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan