[Bf-funboard] Re: 64bit Support?

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:27:41 +0200

tbaldridge@alertacademy.com (2003-09-30 at 0950.11 -0500):
> 	AMD just came out with their first 64bit processor. It can run both
> 32 and 64 bit code. However, what would be the advantages (if any) of making
> a 64 bit version of blender? I know for some graphics applications (such as
> Half-Life) it makes enough of a difference to warrant support. Apparently
> the new Half-Life Servers will all be 64 bit.

You should investigate a bit. Blender has supported 64 bits archs for
a looooong time. And little and big endian kinds. It has been a nice
feature of Blender, and specially its file format. So the thing is to
compile it and check if it goes faster.

About Half Life and 64 bit, dunno what real adventage it will have. In
a database or video editor or 3d, there is as soon as you start to use
lots of memory... but a game server (which is not a graphics app, but
a network system)... only reasons I can see is the extra registers,
speed improvements and such, which do not have to mean 64 bit and that
in some cases the compiler will take care of. Because if you need to
have more than 4 GB to run a game server... there is something really
wrong.

GSR