[Bf-funboard] Object color proposal

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:52:43 +0200

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 10:22:35AM -0400, The Fallen Weeble wrote:

> The proposal here is to show the cursor as a small XYZ axis oriented
> with the object.  X, Y, and Z (the letters) are not shown on the axis
> (although it might be a good candidate as an option - "Show XYZ" or
> something).  The Tri-color for the centerpoint is the Red for X, Green
> for Y, Blue for Z color axis we've seen in other applications (note, I
> may have associated the wrong color with the wrong axis, but you get the
> idea).

Using XYZ color axis gizmos for centerpoints could lay to much weight on
them. I often don't care about centerpoints and therefore I'm happy
they're small and unobstrusive. But maybe everybody else works with them
all the time ...

However color coding for XYZ could be used throughout the application,
for instance with the N-window.

How about asigning one special color to all lamps (cone and directional
lines inclusive) and another one to cameras?
That would improve orientation in complex scenes. Currently I rely
heavily on layers for spotting my cameras and some lights in crowded
scenes. And the lines for showing the cone / direction of a lamp make it
harder to spot and select the actual objects (all black lines).

It would be great, if somebody could make blender read a plain textfile
for which colors to use for all modes and object types. That way, everybody
interested could quickly test and tune different settings and provide
screenshots for discussion about which to use finaly.

---
Thorsten