[Bf-funboard] workflow / reworking of ctrl-t, ctrl-p, ctrl-c, etc

Matt Ebb bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:44:53 +1000

I think some of these discussions may be getting on to the wrong track a
bit, as some of the suggestions seem a bit un-blenderish to me. The Blender
workflow seems intuitive and visual, and I fear that choosing object names
from lists etc. is quite opposite to that Blender 'feeling'. When I'm
working I generally don't tend to name my objects (lazy perhaps?), but work
in the viewport. I remember something by the way it looks and it's position,
not by a name.

Although Luke's method may seem just as fast (same number of mouse clicks),
it wouldn't be in practise, as the more inconsistency means that the user
must spend more time remembering for a split second "oh I have to choose the
selection *afterwards* for this command" rather than just doing it
naturally, the same was as everything else.

Although it's not as consistent as it probably should be, to me, it seems
that most Blender tools work in a way like:

1. Select something to operate on
2. Invoke command (via hotkey/toolbox/menu/whatever)
3. Optionally visualise or predict what will happen either interactively
(like move/rotate/scale) or non-interactively with a confirmation dialog
with an opportunity to cancel/undo the command
4. Confirm or cancel the command

I think this sort of workflow is why Blender is quite usable without an
'undo' function. Rather than letting the user do things, mess up and undo
it, Blender often gives a way out before enacting the command in the first
place. It's like that Raskin UI theory of always giving people an exit or a
way to undo - Blender often does it, but more integrated with the workflow
rather than as a separate command.

To be consistent with this, I like beatabix's suggestion:
1. Select the objects as usual, with one active
2. Invoke track command (via hotkey/toolbox/menu/whatever)
3. Display a confirmation along the lines of "Track selected to <active
object's name>" and at the same time, draw the helplines (perhaps partially
transparent?) from the selected objects to the active object so you can visu
alise what will happen when you confirm the command.
4. Confirm or cancel the command.

I absolutely agree that the selected/active distinction needs to be
visualised better. I have a few ideas on that which I need to think through
a bit too.

Matt