(theeth/ton) Re: [Bf-funboard] Method 3 of reworking of ctrl-t, ctrl-p, ctrl-c, etc....

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:51:51 +1000

theeth wrote:
=====================
You'd still need Active object to determine what
object you are editing.
=====================
Ok, well I guess the "active object" system is there to stay...

=====================
> This is partly incorrect. Try it yourself... create some meshes, then
> use "a" to select nothing, then use "b" to select some items. The last
> objectyou enclosed with the border will become active.
An object remains active when *not* selected... that's what you see
happening.
=====================
I get it now... it keeps a memory of which object was selected...

=====================
I'm not happy with the way that visualizes, but you can see it at the
changed color of the 'centre point'.
=====================
Yeah, the unselected active thing has a pink dot in the center rather than a
yellow one... I never knew what that meant before.

=====================
'Active' and 'Selected' are important concepts, something we definitely
can look at improving to communicate. As mentioned in the UI makeover
doc, the UI doesn't stop with buttons and menus. This is an important
topic to work at as well. For our planning, I think it's more efficient
to do most that after 2.30 is out...

=====================
For ctrl-T, etc it is about having one active object and one or more
selected non-active objects... it seems that it is irrelevant whether the
active object is selected or not... (using "a" and "b" you can make the
active thing unselected but have other things that are selected...) so
anyway, I never appreciated the significance of active objects really until
recently... I noticed that some selections were brighter than others, but I
didn't understand the exact significance of that. I think I worked out that
the bright one is the one you can edit (using tab) though...(even if it is
unselected and there are [non-active] selected things!)

=====================
For example one segment/bar
with:
- title: Active Object
- items: "Make Parent of selected", "Copy attributes to selected", etc.

=====================
I thought there was only one parent, and the active thing (even if it isn't
selected!) is the parent... so assuming that the active object is involved,
"Make Parent of selected" is a bad description since the parent-to-be
doesn't need to be selected! (It just has to be active)
So it could be "Create Parent from Active Object". (maybe active is a
deceptive word since it implies it is selected?) Also, saying "selected"
implies that one or more objects are the parent... but I think only one
object (the active one) can be the parent.
And maybe it should be "Copy attribute from Active Object". (it could be a
singular  "attribute" since the ctrl-c menu only lets you select one object
at a time.) (It is implied that this attribute will be applied to the
selected objects)