[Bf-funboard] Button Panels

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:07:47 +0200

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 11:51:12PM +0200, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I certainly want a smart 'glueing' or grid (or table) system to assist
> configuring a lay-out. Once you're satisfied with a layout, it
> shouldn't bother you anymore.

Grid sounds like a good solution.

> Configuration overkill is not what we need!
>
> I think all your concerns below are mine too... the design doc gives
> some directions for the coding work, but not all answers yet.

Good to hear. I think such concerns need to be articulated so that
everybody can move on to the next step of thinking what to do about it.

> At first I also thought of defining a fixed width/height of panels, to
> allow maximum freedom for any window aspect ratio. Going over all our
> buttons, I'm afraid that restriction will force again UI design into
> ugly solutions, where panels break up in two, or have lots of emtpy
> space.
>
> Maybe it's time to get a quick prototype for it out, then people can
> play with it.
>
> BTW: You can also help by giving solutions, and not so many questions!
> If you've got time, make some mockups or drawings for how you think we
> can work best.

I'm only asking so many questions because the redesign doc leaves so many.
Answers can lead to solutions or make clear what the solutions will be.

And I'm working on some thing. But I also thought it would be good to
understand the redesign doc proposals in detail to make my stuff fit into
it in cases of overlap.

---
Thorsten