[Bf-funboard] Interesting feature

Alexander Ewering bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:33:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Douglas Bischoff wrote:

> VERY! In fact, this is the cousin of what I was working on but never
> got to work:
>
> When you are in Camera mode and you apply a translation to the view
> (via numpad 4/6/8/2 or MMB) if you hold down the SHIFT key then the
> CAMERA is moved! This allows interactive aiming of the camera.

Well, that's basically already there (Camera selected,
G-middlemouse / R-middlemouse ...)

I don't think we need a new, seperate way to do that.

> Lastly, when you LEAVE camera mode, the window JUMPS to some unknown
> setting (presumably the setting it was in prior to Camera mode) which
> is very disconcerting. I propose that the default behavior would be
> that the translation of the view START from the camera position and go
> from there.

This behaviour is useful... you often only want to do a quick zoom
in on an object and change something between renders... i find the
strict seperation between view coordinates and camera coordinates
OK.

> IN summary:
> 1) Numpad-0 Switch to current Camera view
> 2) SHIFT-Numpad-0 Move camera to match current view: enter Camera mode
> with new camera location.

Yeah, that we have already (after I commit! :)

> 3) TRANSLATE command entered while in Camera mode: leave Camera mode &
> translate with starting point = camera's view

I disagree, see above. When working on an object, you shouldn't have
to 'search' it each time you leave camera mode.

> 4) SHIFT-TRANSLATE command entered while in Camera mode: move camera in
> response to translate commands. Stay in Camera mode.

See further above, no need to duplicate features.