[Bf-funboard] Texture painting proposal final. Only text.

car bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:54:32 -0400

Ok I will give it rest for now.

Last words for it.

It was to use Gimps open source code to get the clone paint brush and
erase brush code.
Then as blender has a 2d editor already sort of . Example of this proof
idea is the fact that the paint
in the texture window stays on the image, it even pans with it. So
blender has some sort of 2d code their.

So just meld he gimp brush code into the blender code somehow.

Then fix the 3d mesh to unwrap while painting. Or whatever system
somebody could come up with.
_________________

So really all I was asking for  was the clone brush, erase brush, and
an unwrap method that just works
in the background unseen by the user. Of course the uv could still be
seen for power users.

And the reason for this idea. Speed. The only real use for it is speed
and fun.
Speed for the ability to make in house in program a seamless texture
just in Blender. Then also to apply
top level images like eyes, spots of or just finger nails cloned over
the skin texture. And then take that to
photoshop to further refine it with greater control.

Fun, for the fun of being able to just have fun and finger paint some
weird stuff with eyes all over a space ship
and such. Or a super spotted teddy bear.

Power speed, for making game textures with cleanliness and less drab
alpha beta tests.
__________________

The issue at hand for now.

To texture a mesh currently. Toil with blenders limit of texture
unwrapping for a two hours.
Then edit in photoshop for another three hours with blending and such.
Import back to blender and test how it looks. Find that their is still
a seam.
Back to photoshop for another hour.
Back to Blender
repeat until perfect....
Hours used for one model : least time 3 hours

Paint method
Make mesh
make squares of seamless textures in photoshop one hour or so ( can be
done a head of time )
import texture sheets to blender
start cloning to mesh 2 hours or less for a quick job.
	During this cloning with a soft brush it automatically blends the
textures into each other.
Check out with a few renders 5 minutes
Done.

Time: three hours at the most for a quick job. twenty at the least. Ha
!  Even a five minute job could look nice.

So that is my reasoning for the idea. Not for "because I wan't it and
the others have it "  No. Because I think
it would add so much coverage to the people that still look at blender
as a toy. But if we showed that it can make
seamless textures with ease, and for free. Well I can just hear the
rumblings that would come from the other worlds
of message boards and converts.